11 Nisan 2007


One feature of Bodrum that no visitor should miss is Bodrum Castle. Constructed by the Knights of Rhodes during the Crusades of the Middle Ages, it was given the name The Castle of St. Petrus, or Petronium. It was built partly from the remains of the mausoleum of Mausolus which had collapsed as the result of an earthquake. The exterior walls were designed by the German architect Heinrich Schlgelholt (in the early 15th century) and were strengthened by five towers known usually as the Italian tower, the French tower, the German tower, the English tower and the Snake tower.
The French tower is thought to be the earliest with the others being added during the following century. The Italian tower was built in 1436 by architect Angelo Mascettola. The final parts of the structure were erected in the time of Pierre díAbusson between 1476 and 1593, with the English tower being added around 1480. The walls of the castle contain the coats of arms and armorial bearings of many of the knights that served there.
Captured by the Ottomans in 1522 during the reign of Kanuni Sultan Suleyman, the church on the site was converted into a mosque (Suleymaniye Camisi). Later during the reign of Abdulhamit II, the castle was used as a place of exile.These days Bodrum Castle is somewhere few people would complain about being exiled to. The Castle is open to the public and houses Bodrum’s famous Museum of Underwater Archaeology.

Hiç yorum yok: